The price statistics team at ESCWA conducted a regional training workshop on the compilation of price expenditure weights and guidelines for the compilation of national accounts expenditure data during the pandemic period.
The price statistics team at ESCWA conducted a regional training workshop on the compilation of price expenditure weights, aiming to explain the compilation and estimation processes of national accounts expenditure data, provide technical training on the disaggregation of expenditure data to detailed levels and provide guidelines on the estimation process during COVID-19.
The workshop was attended by 39 participants from 14 ESCWA member countries in addition to 4 experts from the World Bank, and focused on the:
- Discussion on the National Accounts framework and classification;
- Explanatory session on expenditure data compilation approaches;
- Demonstration of the Model Report on Expenditure Statistics (MORES) template for expenditure compilation and estimation at detailed levels of GDP aggregates;
- Discussion of challenges in the compilation of expenditure data during COVID-19 and presentation of guidelines for the compilation and estimation of expenditure data during the pandemic;
- Discussion sessions on specific challenges faced by member countries in the estimation of expenditure data for certain aggregates and challenges posed by the pandemic and recommended best practices to deal with the encountered challenges;
- Presentation of the expenditure data validation and outlier treatment process in an inter-country spatial comparison context.